Thursday, February 5, 2009

MUSIC REVIEW - Marykate O'Neil (2)


Marykate O’NeilUnderground

Ms. O’Neil has graced KMNR with another of her productions. My previous review of her material was maybe a little too harsh – she is a quality musician in her own genre, namely that of coffee-shop musicians. The album is incredibly saccharine, and shows numerous signs of musical ability. The songs are well constructed and have all the trappings of a highly competent singer-songwriter, so if you like this acoustic style of music you’d like this album. It doesn’t appeal to me as a whole, but I can understand why she has a dedicated, if small, following (at least, as far as I can infer from her promotional material and the interwebs). If you do play this album, I recommend tracks 1 and 4 “Green Street” and “Saved”. Also, she looks a lot cuter on this album cover than on MKUltra.

Will I play it on my show? Probably not. RIYL – Ben Folds, Starbucks.

http://www.marykateoneil.com/
http://www.myspace.com/marykateoneil

No comments:

Post a Comment