Friday, February 13, 2009

MUSIC REVIEW - M. Ward



M. WardHold Time

M. Ward first came to my attention with his 2005 album Transistor Radio, but I’m m most familiar with him as the “Him” from She & Him, the collaboration between M. Ward and actress / singer Zooey Deschanel. This album, Hold Time, continues his pattern of ethereal excellence. Ward has a classic coffeehouse voice (makes sense, as he’s from Portland), and his compositions are light and pleasant.

The album as a whole will appeal mainly to people who enjoy soft pop. If you like that kind of music, this is crack. If you don’t, this will be horrible – pay close attention to the RIYL in this case. Regardless, on tracks like “To Save Me” and “Hold Time”, it’s had not to be impressed with his abilities as a songwriter and producer. “Hold Time” is the highlight of the album for me. I usually dislike overly whispery, wafting tunes, but the violin backing on this song helps to congeal it more than many songs of this sort. I also enjoy “Epistemology”, a garage-band blues track that has the unique combination of peach-fuzz distortion, violins, and banjo.

Will I play it on my show? Likely. RIYL – Rilo Kiley, She & Him, Bright Eyes, Tom Waits.

BUY THE CD/MP3's ON AMAZON
BUY THE VINYL ON AMAZON
http://mwardmusic.com/
http://www.myspace.com/mward

No comments:

Post a Comment